APPLY: 2024 UAPS African Research and Data Fellowship For Professionals
The UAPS African Research and Data Fellowship is geared towards enhancing the research and data capabilities of early career researchers (ECRs) in Africa, enabling them to conduct and share research findings on population and development matters.
The Union for African Population Studies (UAPS) plays a pivotal role in cultivating a substantial group of well-trained scholars with local expertise in research and policy involvement throughout Africa. In 2023, a total of 20 ECRs will be chosen to participate in this initiative.
- Host: Union for African Population Studies (UAPS)
- Category: Fellowships
- Eligible Countries: African Countries
- Reward: $2,000 grant
- No IELTS Required
- Deadline: November 30, 2023
This fellowship program seeks to enhance the capabilities of early career researchers (ECRs) in Africa, enabling them to conduct and disseminate research related to population and development issues. It also provides ECRs with the chance to showcase their research on prominent platforms, including regional conferences and esteemed peer-reviewed journals such as the Journal of African Population Studies (JAPS).
To be considered for the UAPS African Research and Data Fellowship:
- An African and holds permanent residence in any African country
- Doctoral Candidates conducting research on population and development issues in Africa including Family Planning (FP), Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR), Gender Equality. The fellowship will also sponsor 2 to 3 candidates interested who are interested in mathematical modelling as applied to FP/SRH and gender equality.
- A paid up UAPS member (click on registration link here to become a member)
- Female applicants including those who have had a career break are strongly encouraged to apply
Duration and Reward
- Training, focusing on research design, research methods, data collection and analysis, scientific writing, grant writing, how to publish, as well as mathematical modelling.
- A grant of up to $2,000 for an approved research project on FP and/or SRHR and gender equality issues in Africa.
- Networking and linkages to mentors in research institutions in the field of population and development.
- Opportunity to participate in the African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) internship program after theUAPS fellowship.
- Assistance on paper submissions to conferences such as those organized by UAPS, International Union for the Scientific Study of Population (IUSSP,) Population Association of
America (PAA) and other relevant seminars.
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Proof of citizenship or permanent residence in Africa.
- A motivation letter stating interest to participate in this programme.
- An up-to-date resume with a full list of educational and professional activities.
- Two recommendation letters with referees’ contact details. At least one of the letters of recommendation should come from a faculty member and/or dissertation advisor or supervisor with strong knowledge of the applicant’s academic performance.
- Up to 3 pages concept note of your proposed research project on FP/SRH and gender equality issues in Africa.
- A budget and its narrative.
- A fully completed application form must be submitted in English or French. The form, together with program information can be found on the UAPS website (www.uaps-uepa.org).
Method of Application
Compile all the necessary documents into a single PDF file, and name it using the candidate’s last name, followed by “AfRes-Data Fellowship application.” If you have any inquiries about the program, please visit the fellowship’s website for assistance.