Study-In-USA: 2024 US Government TechGirls Summer Exchange Program For Young Women
The TechGirls Summer Exchange Program is a U.S.-centered initiative, specifically crafted to empower and bolster the aspirations of young women aged 15-17. These participants come from both the United States and select countries across the globe. The program’s mission is to encourage their pursuit of higher education and careers in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) through practical skills development training.
In the year 2024, this program will extend its support to 111 young women from 37 participating countries/territories, in addition to over 13 U.S. peers. This experience spans a dynamic four-week U.S.-based immersion, supplemented by a seven-month mentoring program that encompasses both pre- and post-exchange phases.
Eligible Countries: TechGirls will be competitively recruited and selected from the following regions, countries, and territories, with an approximate allocation of three participants per country/territory.
- Host Country: United States of America (USA)
- Study Abroad: Study in USA
- Category: Scholarship | Internships| Training | Fellowships
- Eligible Countries: 40 Countries (Including USA & Nigeria)
- Reward: Full Scholarship | Accommodation | Flight Ticket | Visa Fee | Feeding
- No IELTS Required
- Deadline: December 8, 2023
Since 2012, the TechGirls Summer Exchange Program has been instrumental in training and mentoring 653 young women. Initially, the program’s focus was primarily on countries in the Middle East and North Africa.
In the summer of 2022, the TechGirls program expanded its reach globally, engaging a talented group of young women with STEM aspirations from not only the United States but also select countries spanning all six regions of the world: the Western Hemisphere, Sub-Saharan Africa, Europe and Eurasia, East Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, and South and Central Asia.
At the heart of the TechGirls program is a 24-day experience within the United States. In partnership with Virginia Tech, participants take part in an interactive TechCamp, providing them with an in-depth exploration of cutting-edge technologies and diverse educational and professional pathways within STEM fields.
Subsequently, TechGirls embark on a journey to various U.S. cities such as Austin, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, or Seattle, immersing themselves in local communities and exploring potential careers in STEM. The TechGirls program’s impact extends beyond the participants, as they return home to initiate community-based projects with the support of seven months of mentorship.
Students eligible to apply for the TechGirls Summer Exchange Program are those who:
- Are citizens ofone of the eligible countries/territories AND living in that country/territory at time of exchange:
- Sub-Saharan Africa (AF) – Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, and Zambia
- East Asia and Pacific (EAP) – Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- Europe and Eurasia (EUR) – Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Türkiye
- Middle East and North Africa (NEA) – Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia
- South and Central Asia (SCA) – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan
- Western Hemisphere (WHA) – Brazil, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama, Peru, and Suriname
- United States of America
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange on July 13, 2024
- Born on or between July 13, 2006 and July 13, 2009;
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in science, technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in STEM, especially technology;
- Have strong English language skills (advanced intermediate English skills);
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country;
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home; and
- Meet U.S. J-1 visa eligibility requirements (for instance, U.S. citizens are not eligible for a J-1 visa).
- Eligible candidates must be citizens and current residents of participating countries. Third-country nationals permanently living in an eligible country should contact us to determine eligibility prior to applying.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
Please note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff. U.S. Department of State employees, family members of the administering organization or partner organizations are not eligible to apply.
TechGirls encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
The TechGirls Summer Exchange Program covers the following costs:
- Visa fee for international participants
- Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States
- Roundtrip domestic airfare from participant home city (as applicable)
- Housing during program
- Double occupancy dormitory accommodations at Virginia Tech
- Double occupancy accommodations at hotel in Washington, D.C.
- Meals during program
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Local transportation to group program events
- Cultural events organized by Legacy International
- Emergency health insurance
All TechGirls Summer Exchange Program participants are selected based on the eligibility requirements below. Independent selection committees composed of industry leaders and regional experts review applications.
- For international semi-finalists, U.S. embassy personnel in host country/territory of permanent residence conduct interviews.
- For U.S. semi-finalists, Legacy International conducts interviews.
Method of Application
Prospective candidates who meet the requirements for the TechGirls Summer Exchange Program are invited to submit their applications through the provided link.
The application window for the 2024 TechGirls program is currently open and will remain so until December 8, 2023, at 12:00 PM noon ET. All applicants will receive notification of their status in March 2024.